Australian Wren

Australian Wren

Search This Blog

Where are the words?

There is something about holding a tiny book in your and and turning the pages that just makes my heart skip a beat. I have always wanted to create books but I was always hung up on what words I would include! I do not see myself as a writer although I love words! I finally freed myself up enough to not worry about words and simply create books of images.

Recently I created some accordion books for the first time. I have a lot of ephemera which I have collected through the years and finally I feel like I have a vehicle for using some of it! I incorporated my own imagery into the books as well; collage elements torn from previous images I have created, tiny scraps of left overs, and then I drew and painted onto the pages after they were collaged.

 I am really enjoying mixed media. Using so  many different media and techniques is very liberating. Following are some images of one of my books called "Love." This book is now available on my Etsy shop.


The cover is created from one of my paper tags and is collaged onto the cover with some ephemera. 

page 1 Collaged butterfly and ephemera and flower from my painting. Drawing.

Page 2 and 3 Collage, ephemera, paint and drawing. Bee and dragonfly were created from paper tags which I designed. 
Page 4 Collage, painting and pen drawing. Blackbird is a copy of an image I painted. 

Pages 5 and 6 Bird is another collage from a tag I created, ephemera, drawing. House is collaged from a copy of my painted design, drawing, and ephemera.

The back of the book has a gel print cover and a collaged flower and my signature. 

The back of the book is created by collaging ephemera and found paper and it can be written on like a journal if you like. The pages are edged with old fabric. 
This photo shows scale in comparison to a Penguin Classic book.



No comments:

Post a Comment